Beauty junkies listen up. I got another must-have beauty post ready for your perusal. I may not be a skincare expert, but I am obsessed with all things beauty – skincare and makeup – and would love to share with you a streamlined list of types of skincare products, I believe every girl should have AND use on a regular basis. Remember how I said that makeup shouldn’t mask, but enhance your natural beauty in my 5 Makeup Must-Haves article? Well, today’s article is aimed at making sure that the skin underneath that thin layer of makeup is as beautiful and healthy as it can be (nutrition and hormones aside) without layering on 30 different products every day.
I love dolling myself up, don’t get me wrong, but I also love a bare face, despite my blemish prone skin. I never wear makeup in the gym, and I even went out for dinner without so much as a drop of mascara on my lashes last night (mostly due to the fact that I have an irritated eye, but hey). There’s no shame in letting your skin breathe from time to time, but the better your skin is, the more confident you’ll probably be bare faced.
So here’s my list of five must-have skincare products. I hope you enjoy it, and please let me know what your must-have skincare products are in the comments below.
1. Gentle cleanser. I love cleansing my face; it’s so relaxing. Make sure you cleanse your face morning and night with a gentle cleanser that suits your skin type. In the morning, it removes excess oil and sweat that may have built up during the night and prepares your face for the rest of your skincare routine, and at night it removes makeup, sunscreen and all the city dirt, and allows night serums to penetrate your skin more deeply. However, a lot of cleansers can be quite stripping, so make sure to use a gentle cleanser that soothes your skin. My picks: morning – La Roche-Posay Physiological Cleansing Gel, night – Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm
2. Targeted Serum. I’d say a good serum is even more important than a good moisturizer. If you’re on a budget and can’t afford to spend a lot on skincare, do make sure that you’re at least investing in one or two quality serums that address your major skincare issues (acne, dehydration, inflammation, wrinkles etc.). Use a light, hydrating serum in the morning, and a more potent serum at night, when the skin regenerates and has time to absorb all the good ingredients without being covered by make-up or environmental pollution. My picks: morning – Indeed Labs Hydraluron, night – REN ClearClam 3 Replensihsing Gel Cream
3. Exfoliator. Exfoliators containing AHA (alpha hydroxide acids) remove the outer layer of the skin that can clog pores, and stimulate cell renewal. Be careful however, they also increase sensitivity to the sun, so you may want to layer on the sunscreen for up to a week after usage. If you have sensitive skin, exfoliate once or twice a week, if you don’t have sensitive skin, you can exfoliate up to two times a day. My pick: REN Resurfacing AHA Concentrate
4. Sunscreen. Whether you exfoliate or not, you need to protect your skin from the sun all year round in order to prevent premature aging. Ideally, you use a dedicated broad-spectrum sunscreen, not just a daily moisturizer with SPF. My pick – Vichy Capital Soleil Face Cream SPF 50+
5. Water Water Water…need I say more?