Nowadays, a lot of women would feel more comfortable leaving the house without wearing pants than without wearing makeup. Makeup has become an essential part of most women’s (and even men’s) everyday life, and due to the steady supply of new and innovative beauty products, our makeup bags are overflowing. But do we really need all of those products? Makeup should, after all, enhance our natural beauty, not cover it up. So I started thinking…if womankind was forced to streamline their makeup bags, what five products should not be missing? Read on to find out which products made the cut…
1. Concealer. If you happen to be one of those enviable people blessed with uniquely flawless skin, you might disagree, but for everyone else concealer is a true allrounder that can hide nasty spots, cover up blemishes and pigmentation, and brighten up even the darkest of under-eye circles. For somebody like me, who has naturally dark circles under her eyes, concealer works a treat when it comes to instantly freshening up the face and transforming a zombie-like complexion into that of an actual human being. My pick: Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in Cool Medium No. 2
2. Light diffusing powder. A lightweight, translucent, light-diffusing powder can make a true difference to the complexion, even if you’re not wearing any foundation underneath. It doesn’t just heavily sit on the skin to cover up imperfections. It captures, diffuses and softens the light to make your skin look effortlessly beautiful. Your complexion will appear more refined and even colour-corrected (depending on the powder). A true winner if you ask me. My pick: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light
3. Mascara. A kick-ass clump-free mascara is a must, even for girls with long dark lashes. I totally get it if you say you’re not into make-up, but at least make the effort to put on mascara before you go to work or meet a friend for dinner. It only takes a second to apply and makes such a huge difference to your whole appearance. Mascara can lengthen, thicken and separate lashes to open up your eyes and make you look all awake and fresh-faced. My pick: Lancôme Hypnôse Mascara
4. Blush. A slightly shimmery blush that complements your skin tone will make you look healthy and rosy-cheeked in an instant. The added shimmer highlights your cheekbones and will let your face appear more defined. My pick: MAC MSF in Stereo Rose
5. Neutral lipstick. Pick a slightly glossy “your lips but better” shade with a hint of light reflecting particles to make your lips look plump and healthy in a very natural way. Neutral shades can be worn day and night and complement any outfit. My pick: L’Oreal Paris Rouge Caresse Lipstick in 301 Dating Coral
What are the makeup products you can’t you live without?